Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Did someone say Healthcare?

Yesterday I started my medical clearance for the foreign service.  Actually, I should say I started on Monday with a not so pleasant call to my doctor's office, which then started an hour and a half search to find a doctor that
  • takes my insurance
  • is accepting new patients
  • has appointments available soon
  • and is not 1,000 miles away (kidding, but I'm NOT driving all the way out to Worcester or something like that).
Turns out, that's a hard list to fill.  Let me backup:  when my COBRA ran out (oh, how I miss you HUGHP insurance and HUHS health services) I got onto a Massachusetts insurance plan for the unemployed.  Fine and dandy -- that is until I actually needed to see a doctor in a non-emergency situation.  I was assigned a doctor less than a mile away from me, so I gave his office a call on Monday.  It went something like this:

Me:                    Hi, I'm a new patient with Dr. XXXXX with YYYYY-YYYYY insurance, and...
Receptionist:    We're not taking that insurance anymore!
Me:                    Umm, excuse me?
Receptionist:    We Aren't Taking That Insurance Anymore!
Me:                    Oh, OK.  Well, I was assigned to Dr. XXXXX by...
Receptionist:    WE AREN'T TAKING THAT INSURANCE ANYMORE!  I CAN'T MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR YOU!

Well, OK then.  See You Next Tuesday, I guess.

Finally, though, I found a doctor that met all the criteria above at Lahey Clinic in Peabody (BTW, if you live outside of Massachusetts or New England, it's pronounced PEA-buddy, not pea-BODY).  It's by the NorthShore Mall, so I've see it for years but have never been inside.  It's actually quite nice.  And, it turns out my new doctor had an appointment available on Tuesday -- not three months out.

So, I had a nice start with a new doctor at a new clinic with a new health insurance. Although, it's a little daunting to have to stand naked in front of a complete stranger who's giving you the up and down.  Not even drinks or dinner, geesh!  Preliminary physical exam went well, got an EKG done (my first) and it turns out I do actually have a beating heart.  Who knew?

However, I think I've stumped the medical establishment with this State Department medical clearance stuff.  My insurance has pretty much told me that the required tests won't be covered.  Fine, I say, the State Department will pay for what you don't, you just have to issue an Explanation of Benefits.  But, they say, how can your doctor even order the tests that we don't authorize.  How should I know, I'm not in the insurance/medical billing industry.  Can't he just say:  run these tests, STAT?  I guess not.  I think, though, I've intrigued him and I'm pretty sure he'll figure out how to get it done.  

Just in case you're curious about what all has to be done, you can take a look at the actual form DS-1843.  It's quite comprehensive.  I guess it has to be since I need to be cleared to go anywhere in the world, even places with very limited or no medical care.

Oh, and I have 30 days to git-er-done!

No comments:

Post a Comment