Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Adventure Begins...

Today was the day for my move to DC/Arlington, VA.  Everything went smoothly:  airport, flight, landing.  Into a cab for a quick ride from DCA to my temporary apartment at the Slate building of Sedona-Slate.  A quick check in and unpacking and it, kinda, feels like home -- for a while, at least.

The apartment is quite nice.  It's a one-bedroom, furnished and outfitted for temporary stays.  It's got a good view of Clarendon Boulevard in Rosslyn (if you like urban landscapes, it's great).  As a bonus, it has a "den", which is another small room with a closet, but without a door.  So, not quite a 2-bedroom.  I've got the apartment through Oakwood as part of the lodging program with the State Department.  I'll be here through my orientation, which starts July 13 and runs for three weeks.  During the third week of orientation I'll find out how much training I'll need for the job I'll find out about, which will let me know how much longer I'll be in this apartment.

Here are some pics of the apartment:









Outside:  bike lanes!

After settling in, I decided to explore my new neighborhood a bit.  Headed out to find the Rosslyn Metro station, but it started raining, so I went back to get my umbrella.  Headed back out and found the station -- then found that I forgot my wallet.  Returned to my new apartment once more.  I thought that since I'm going out, I might as well find a grocery store to get a few days worth of food (not much, since no car).  Internets told me that a Trader Joe's is located two metro stops at Clarendon Metro.  So, back to the Rosslyn station.

One caveat:  make sure you take the correct train.  I accidentally took the Blue Line and had to turn around at Arlington Cemetery.  OK, back to Rosslyn and the ORANGE Line this time.  Luckily, I found it


YAY!  And, this one has beer and wine -- Hello, La Ferme Julien Rosé!

A little exploring of my building:

Lounge and Billiards Room

Rooftop Terrace

Rooftop Pool

Fitness Center (yes, I did go inside, but forgot to take the pic in there)

As you can tell from some of the pics, it did rain.  Actually, the skies opened up and it poured.  Luckily just after I returned from Trader Joes.

Tomorrow I'll explore around the neighborhood, maybe use the fitness center and the pool, and figure out how to join Capital Bike Share.

No comments:

Post a Comment