Monday, October 10, 2011

Let's Make a Man Bag - Part 4

The man bag had to wait for work, bowling, meditation course, and a trip to Vermont.  But, I got back to work.  To finish the lining, lay both pieces right sides together, and stitch along the left and right sides and the bottom.
Now, open the bottom, align the corners of the notched out areas and sew closed, like this:
Do that on both sides and you'll end up with basically an open-top bag

I put it all together, outside and lining, and started topstitching.  I tried, fussed, and tried again.  However, I now realize that I have neither the skills nor the proper tools for working in leather.  I'll admit it, the leather has beaten me - and broken four needles in the process.  Just look at this bad stitching and holes:


So, I've decided that I'll remove and reuse the lining and the strap, but I'm changing out the body to use these two fabrics
In the meantime, though, Mark wants a big pillow to go with this ottoman he upholstered:
Using these
Also, I just got a new, heavy duty sewing machine and this will be the first project with it.
So, a break with the bag, I'll post about the pillow, then back to the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment