Sunday, March 26, 2017

One Month Left in Charleston

I have just about one month left in Charleston, South Carolina on this assignment. I'm in a training class this week and at the end of April I'm going on a trip to Kigali, Rwanda. So, really, I only have about three weeks of work left in the Global Financial Services Center. March is almost over and April will go by really quickly; before I know it my apartment will be packed up (and the house in Lynn, MA, too) and I'll be meeting up with Mark and Cosmo in Washington, DC for about three months of French language training before heading out to Bamako, Mali in August.

I just finished up a "farewell" tour of some family and friends:  Charleston to Boston to help Mark and Cosmo with pack-out items and to say goodbye to our home of 16 years.  It's sold (fingers crossed until the closing is done, though) and that's that.  Mark did a great job of getting it ready for listing and sale, and our agent - Doug Morrow - whom we used to buy the house, is great. 
Cosmo helping us make packing decisions.

Our (sold) home.

From Boston to Los Angeles to see our friends Jamie and Clinton and to establish our California domicile.  Yes, Mark and I are Californians, now. Cool, dude.  So happy to have seen Southern California during a once-in-a-decade wildflower bloom.  I couldn't believe how green the LA area was. These are from Malibu Creek State Park and the Getty Museum in LA.






















LA on to Oklahoma City to visit my family.  It was great to see my parents, sister and brother-in-law, and my three nieces. I was amazed at the transformation that OKC downtown has made, especially the revitalized river-front area.  There was even a bike share in Downtown and Mark and I had a nice - albeit gusty - ride along the new Oklahoma River (formerly the North Canadian).  And we found a winery - and the wine is OK (sorry, couldn't resist).

Mark on a Spokies bike share in OKC

The Land Run Monument in OKC




Clauren Ridge Winery and Vineyard 

I love travel that has surprises in it (good, surprises, that is).  I'm hoping for many more on our upcoming adventures to Mali and beyond.  

Just three weekends left for me in Charleston. My friend Meg's yoga studio is having it's first anniversary on April 7. I need to ride the Ravenel Bridge one last time.  And I still want to go to HUSK - so I'll need to find a few dinner partners soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment