Sunday, September 8, 2013

100-Day Transformation: Day 1

I mentioned yesterday that today (Saturday, September 7, 2013) I'm starting a 100-day transformation.  Actually, I'm creating it as I go along because I thought, hey, there's not enough going on right now, so why not.  I've read a lot books and seen a lot of videos, so this is my attempt to synthesize what I've learned and seen.

I'm dividing up the 100 days in ten 10-day periods.  Each period something will be added, or a goal set, or something stopped.  While my focus is on nutrition, I'm also including physical activity and mental/spiritual/social changes as well.

I've taken my measurements (I'm not posting those, now, out of shame).  I'll weigh myself each morning and record it in a spreadsheet and take body measurements with each new 10-day period.  Eventually, I'll share those stats and graphs.

Period 1:  Days 1 through 10

My goals for this period are to give my digestion a rest and reset my nutrition.  While I think I generally eat better than many people, I still like junk.  So, this is like a 10-day detox.

Days 1 through 10 are all about raw greens, veggies, and fruits:  in the Vita-Mix.  I'm not juicing, but blending.  I got a Vita-Mix 5000 from ebay and I love it.  It's powerful, relatively quiet (compared to other blenders I've had), and easy to clean.  I know it's an investment - not a cheap kitchen gadget - but I think it's worth it.  It really does an excellent job.

Here are the ingredients for this morning's blend:

1 cup melon balls
6 little carrots
2 cups (not packed) kale
about one cup orange juice
one whole lemon (the Vita-Mix can handle the whole thing, but I quarter it)
a handful of blueberries
a handful of red grapes

And the results...

Yeah, kinda gross looking, but actually quite good.

In addition to greens, veggies, and fruits, I'm including teas - black, green, and herbal, water, fruit and/or veggie juices - but mostly to use in blending and only 100% juice, and black coffee or espresso, with no additions.  If you want a great cold drink to have ready in the fridge, to a one gallon seal-able pitcher add

Let this brew in the fridge for a few hours, then remove the tea bags after it's the strength you like.  Also, changing up the Lemon Zinger with other zinger flavors is fun.  I love this and even use it in fruit smoothies sometimes.

After breakfast Mark rigged up the bicycle trailer and we took Cosmo - our rescued Cairn terrier - out for a spin along the shore.  He did really well for his first time (Cosmo, not Mark).




Lunch blend ingredients:

10 Romaine Leaves
10 little carrots
one mini cucumber
6 little tomatoes
10 red grapes
3 baby bell peppers
half-handful of pomegranate seeds
1 small apple
1 cup of water
1 tiny pinch of sea salt

The result:

That one looks even grosser, but really it is quite tasty.  The cucumber gives it a lightness and the apple and grapes add just enough sweetness, but not too much.

Other goals for this 10-day period are to get back into yoga.  I want to do either 15 or 30 minutes, preferably in the morning.  I have the Ashtanga Yoga Practice Manual by David Swenson and he has 15, 30, and 45 minute short form practices.  I also want to be aware to walk more, especially stairs.  I have a FitBit One, so I'll use it to help me remember to take more stairs and track my walking.

FitBit has an on-line activity tracking system, so I can use that to monitor my progress.  I also want to log and track all my meals.  I've used LoseIt! before and like it, so I'll get back to using it.  It also syncs with FitBit, so both can stay coordinated.

I will also get back into meditation.  I think carving out 5 to 10 minutes twice a day (morning and afternoon) is certainly achievable.

Here are the ingredients for the dinner blend:


One lime (quartered)
One ear of corn with the kernels cut off the cob
half a cup of water
half a cup of carrot juice
1/8 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne
2 cups (not packed) baby spinach
3 celery stalks
3 mini bell peppers
3 or 4 stalks of flat-leaf parsley
small bundle of wheat grass
(I decided not to add any carrots since I'm using carrot juice)

Here's the result:


Very green, thanks to the spinach.  This one is not sweet, even with the fresh corn.  It's tart and spicy, with a kick to the back of the throat.  Not unpleasant, but definitely different.

If I need sweet, later, I may blend up a frozen banana with some orange juice and some berries.

So here's a chart for days 1 - 10:

Days
What to Eat
1 – 10
·         Raw Green Leafy Veggies
·         Raw Fruits
·         Raw Veggies
·         Fruit and Veggie Juices
·         Tea:  black, green, or herbal
·         Coffee:  black, no additions
  
Days 1 – 10 are Vita-Mix only days.  Blend raw greens, raw fruits, raw veggies, water, fruit and/or veggie juices.  Drink as much as you want every day.  Black coffee (nothing added), teas, and water allowed.  Don’t drink fruit juice alone – use to blend with greens, fruits and veggies.
Days
What to Do
1 – 10
Yoga: 15 – 30 minutes every day
Walking and Stairs
Meditation:  5 - 10 minutes, twice a day
Track physical activity and meals

PS:  I logged my food into LoseIt! and got:

  • Breakfast = 376 calories
  • Lunch = 227 calories
  • Dinner = 157 calories
  • Dessert (which I haven't had yet, but just in case) = 248
  • Total = 1,006 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment