Sunday, September 15, 2013

100-Day Transformation: Day 8

Well, it's Day 8, which means it's been a week into my 100-Day Transformation.  Days 4 & 5 were pretty much the same as the previous days - two to three "smoothies" each day with much the same mix of ingredients.  Days 6 and 7 change, though.

On Thursday (Day 6) I came home from class (TAX 801, if you're interested) and said to myself (and Mark and Cosmo), I want a real meal.  So I did.  I had a Trader Joe's Shepherd's Pie and it was good. Friday night (Day 7) I made falafel sandwiches for Mark and I using Trader Joe's frozen falafel balls (which, are super yummy), flat bread, homemade tzatziki, and baby spinach.

Did I break my own rule about having only "smoothies" for ten days?  Sure.  But, a few items.  First, I'm going to pay attention to my body and mind during this transformation.  Something inside me was saying to eat - chew - and perhaps needing something I wasn't getting from the raw greens, veggies, and fruits.  Was it a residual craving?  Perhaps.  Second, the goal of this process isn't about deprivation or starvation or even weight loss.  It's about transforming my body, my mind, and my habits.  While I'm trying to avoid using terms like better and worse, it is about transforming my "being-ness", the totality of me, into something healthy, happy, and aware.  Third, the first ten-day period is about giving my digestion some rest - which I think I've definitely accomplished.  Finally - did I mention this is MY transformation process - not someone else's?


 I've been re-reading Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig, and I finished reading Death by Supermarket by Nancy Deville.  Additionally, I've been reading up on the Weston Price Foundation. All really good food for thought - or vice versa, actually.






So, for the next period, which may start early, I'm adding in raw milk/yogurt and pastured eggs and some nuts and seeds.  I found a fairly local dairy farm where I can get raw milk and the eggs:  Artichoke Dairy in West Newbury.  I went this morning and got fresh milk and eggs.  And I met a couple of the cows - here's one (I didn't get her name, though).



I also got a yogurt maker at Target.  I'll try making a batch with my raw milk tonight (it needs about 8 hours or so to become yogurt).

I'm going to try to keep one green smoothie per day, but then start cooking for other meals.  No meat, yet.  That will come in later periods.  I'll also prepare nuts according to Nourishing Traditions - soaking them first then lightly roasting in the oven.  I guess the soaking removes substances naturally present in most nuts that prevents full digestion and absorption (phytates, actually).  I'll see how it goes.

Dinner is a fritatta made with the fresh eggs from Artichoke Dairy, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, an onion, peppers, and a few mini-tomatoes.


Leftovers for Sunday's breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment